Friday, January 24, 2014

GoPro Mini

I always thought that those GoPro Cameras that are super portable and strap to your helmet or chest for recording crazy stunts were really awesome.  I know I've had my share of brutal wipeouts that would probably be hilarious to be able to watch and relive from my point of view over and over again.  But then I saw how expensive they are, and it looks like I probably won't put the money into picking one up for a while.

In any case, I still wish I had one two nights ago when I was riding to the shop after it started snowing outside.  The drift trike was able to drift even more than usual on the slick snow, and it made for a pretty cool ride.  

Anyway, I figured I'd make my own low budget GoPro camera of sorts to help document my progress and make some videos showing how the bike works.  The only recording device I have is my Iphone camera, so that was the only option.  Using a small scrap piece of sheet metal and 3 minutes of free time on my way out of the lab today, I threw together the worst looking IPhone case you'll probably ever see:


It's hardly even worth a blog post, but I mean, I guess it works.  I strapped it to a C-Clamp and that's about it.  Not too glorious, but I'm fine with using it over spending $300.


At least it easily secures to mostly any location on the bike.  I attached it to the side of the seat looking down at one of the rear wheels.  I figured it'd be cool to have a video of one of the caster wheels rotating as the bike went around different turns, so I'll see how it comes out tomorrow.  The metal hasn't been scratching the screen on my phone yet, so I'm alright with it.






No comments:

Post a Comment