Monday, January 12, 2015

IAP ATV Plans


It's been a while since I have gotten to work on my ATV, but finally IAP will give me an opportunity to get it rolling!!  I got funding through the Techfair, and now I'll need to get something done in time to present it at the February 2nd event.


I'm sticking to the plan of using the overpowered AC-24 with the Sevcon controller.  Roberto had started to help me during a couple of the summer marathon meetings to work on tuning the motor so that it will work with the controller...


But we didn't quite get it to reach working order, and ended up just dismantling one of the Sevcons to see what was inside instead.


I did get a front differential from a 1998 Yamaha grizzly for the drivetrain, as it provided a relatively inexpensive option on ebay.  I planned on keeping the original solid rear axle though, and removed the differential gears to just allow the unit to function as a right angle drive.  


I started prototyping different swingarm and differential mounting configurations, and began working on a solution to coupling the motor shaft with the differential.


I've reached a preliminary setup for the rear swingarm and suspension, and it seems to be off to a good start, but there's still plenty of work to be done before the machine's ready to roll.  



No comments:

Post a Comment